Thursday, November 26, 2020

DIATOMACEOUS EARTH AND FLEAS

I've been an organic gardener since I was a kid. My dad owned a farm, but he wasn't organic. I was upset about planes flying over the house spraying who knows what on the crops and the chemicals coming into our yard when we were playing outside. I used allowance money to subscribe to Organic Gardening magazine and I was hooked. I quit subscribing to that when they started to get political a few years back. I want to hear about gardening not about how President Trump is ruining America which I disagree with. 

Anyway, back in 2009 my son Duncan went up to the mountains for Boy Scouts and came home with fleas. Within a weak the whole house was covered in fleas. I had learned to use food grade Diatomaceous Earth (DE) in the garden for pests and then discovered it kills fleas. I powdered our whole house with the stuff including the closets. I left the powder on the carpets for 2 weeks and after that we had zero fleas. 

To this day I still use DE in my yard and on my dogs. I've seen 1 flea in 5 years and powdered the dog and haven't seen another one since. I put this on the cat too. It also kills good bugs so I use sparingly in the garden when ladybugs and mantis are active. It's a good winter control to help stop harboring thrips and aphids. This powder is good under appliances and controls roaches as well. It's ugly powder so I sweep it in crevices, I dust it into the attic, and put it anywhere white powder visually isn't a problem. I've read that you can paint it on wet to walls and stuff but this powder works better dry not wet. 

 And as always, wear a mask when using. This stuff can irritate lungs even though it is edible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment